Chapter 9: Poetry

 Poetry is a form of literature that many times is mistakingly called a genre. It is also sometimes one of the most difficult forms of literature for readers because poetry lacks rules and there are so many different types. Finding poetry for children can be difficult but there are criteria that can help in the selection. Some questions to ask yourself when selecting poetry for children are:

  • Can children understand it?
  • Does it stir emotion?
  • Does it play with sounds of language?
  • Is it age-appropriate?
  • Does it allow the reader to be interactive with the poem?
  • Is the subject matter appealing and appropriate?
  • Will it be able to stand up under repeated readings?
  • Will it accompany you through life?
Based on research, children prefer poems that tell a story. (narrative poetry) Free verse and haiku are the least preferred, probably because they are more difficult for children to understand. Children also enjoy funny poems, poems that rhyme, poems that use sound devices, and poems that they can relate to and evoke visual images. Good poems for children also should allow them to interact with the poem and stand up to repeated readings. 

Why should we share poetry with children?
  • for enjoyment
  • to provide knowledge of concepts
  • to increase vocabulary
  • to help them identify with people and situations
  • to help them understand feelings
  • to help them grant insights into their feelings and universal emotions
I will be honest. I had never enjoyed poetry until I began teaching. I dreaded poetry in middle school, high school, and college. It just was not enjoyable in the least! But once I began teaching and when I had my own children, poetry was always a part of my life. The fun little rhymes that catch a little one's attention, the silly rhymes in elementary school, Shel Silverstein as children get older, books by Jacqueline Woodson...now I love it and love to share it with my students. 

Comments

Popular Posts